Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hakuouki: Demon of Fleeting Blossom

So here I am again, alive and kicking giving another review to another otome game I just played on my PSP. Hakouki: Demon of Fleeting Blossom. So here I go.
When I downloaded games for my PSP, I first played Hakouki because yeah, I like playing VN. Though when I saw it I was like, I want to take a break since it looks like a lot of drama and I was not wrong, it is a whole lot of drama inside, with me finishing all routes getting all CG's. I can't believe myself and my love for otome games. Anyways, this game is a little long so I have to spent a week to finish all routes you see, I even went to the "game over" endings and only one bad ending which is Okita's just to complete his CG.
At first I was like what in the world is the title Hakouki, I was done with almost all routes until I went through the main guy's route. I was like "OH YEAH! Why the hell didn't it come to me to go for the main guy if I was seeking for answers? I'm so stupid" is what I said that time. Anyways, I never changed the heroine's name Chizuru because I don't think my name "zhaie" will fit Yukimura (haha). 
Anyways, in all due respect I think I
enjoyed the game with some disappointment in my part in most routes end. I guess I'll tell you why. But the game is lovely, it tackles about the history of Japan in the time of Shinsengumi since Shinsengumi did exist before the time of Meiji Era so I really think that this is a way of Japan to introduce the history of Japan to otome gaming fans. Well, the art is good, I'll give them a perfect score for the art and for the bishies in the game since all bishies are eye-candies. But I certainly don't know what I should feel with the heroine since she's all being protected and such and she's so lucky to have her harem. I mean she has a katana but she can't use it, like a display only. I don't know, I guess I am not a fan of heroines in otome games because they all can't do pretty much in the game, just like this one.
Also, the fact that I am missing Kaoru Nagumo in the game and Sen's appearance every now and then only even though both of them has a pretty big role in the story is bothering me. I was expecting them to appear in this situation but never appeared, like Kaoru can appear in Harada's route but only appeared in Okita's, I think Kaoru can also be inserted in Hijikata's route but he never did. It's a little disappointing. Also the fact that Sen's a minor role, she can actually be a big minor character if they just added a little story for her but they never did. But oh well, I think they just want to exclusive the story to each route so you can play all routes to get the story. That's how otome games work, anyway.

I first went to Okita's Route. He somehow got my attention because he appears and say nonsense stuff in every occasion and also, the fact that he teases the heroine to kill her every now and then. I was a little annoyed at him sometimes but I thought it was part of his personality until I fell in love with him (kyaaaah). Anyways, he's my favorite, I just hated the fact that he haz tuberculosis, I really hate TB now, that diseases shouldn't have existed. Because of Okita, I hated TB and cursed it until the end of the game. I was like so happy because he's so handsome when he became a fury and it looks like he was healed because of the water of life, but when Kazama appeared and said it wasn't a cure for his illness, I became very unhappy. I mean Okita is my beloved adored Souji Okita. Especially in western clothes *O* SUPER EYE CANDY!!! WAAAH HAHA
Anyways, enough of my fangirling over my favorite bishie in Hakuoki, you see, Nagumo is only exclusive to be interacted in his route. You can only meet him as your brother in his route because you only meet Kaoru when you are with Okita in the game. So even though Kaoru reminds me of SJun every time he appears, he can only be seen as a cute evil oniichan in the Okita's route. Though Kaoru is a little cruel in his ways, even though not mentioned in the game, I think he really cared for his sister when he made Okita drink the water of life to make him a fury since it seems that Okita is dying. When he made his sister drink it too, I think it is to make Kazama go for her sister since he really gave Chizuru a tip to help in Okita's bloodlust which is the right one. Though it doesn't change the fact that he had set up-ed for Okita to get shot and shortened his life, which made me hate him because of that. He's a sadist, it's adorable but it ruins the story *cries*.
Anyways, you should have Okita drink blood to lessen his "corruption", I was following a walkthrough for Okita back then since I am kinda unfamiliar with the game so I had to follow it, but it's a little wrong when it said to make him drink medicine, you should have Okita drink blood, but never drink his, it's disturbing when you two get bloodlust and he drinks your blood while you're drinking his. Also, this leads to the bad end so never drink his blood when you had bloodlust in the game.
Overall in the ending, you get reunited with your family, only to kill your brother and father but found a way to cure bloodlust but then you are still furies with Okita still has TB and short life span. It's a little disappointing since you won't last long. They really have no intention to let girls dream.

Next, I went to the ever so sexy Saito Hajime. He's the shortest but no doubt one of the most talented swordsman in the group. And he's the sexiest in the game for me because of his hair, I feel like it pierced through my heart like he's into some wet look or something X'D
He's skilled and all but he's like a dog who just followed whatever he the higher ones ordered him to do so. It's a little sad that he can't decide for himself. He is also a character that doesn't speak much and he yields too much especially when he kept being awake in the morning despite he's a fury and it is not good for him. But I find him cute when he blushed (haha). I think I only saw him twice blushing in the game one when he finished taking blood from Chizuru and second in the end when Harada was teasing him. Also, I think he developed friendship with Amagiri in the game (haha). Since he's really skilled and for some reason Amagiri seems to acknowledge that. He also looked handsome when he became a fury but you know as far I am concerned it lessens your life so sooner or later he'll turn to ashes. It doesn't feel right. He doesn't look any different when he wore his western clothes, he's still sexy~
One thing by the way, you must feed him blood as well. This is applicable to all routes, please feed all bishie blood~ Or you will get a bad ending. It's fine just think they are vampires or something.
In his usual clothes, I honestly thought he's a Shinigami in some Division in Soul Society (haha).
So in the end of his route, Saito became a farmer. What a handsome farmer he is. And yeah since he used too much power of being a fury. But I think Amagiri told him how to cure bloodlust and that is the water used by Kodou, the heroine's father. In his route, Kodou is the Antagonist and the final boss is Kazama. Though his life is still a short one so it's not that dreamy. ;A; Okita died and Hijikata died. Hesuke died as well, only Harada lived in his route.

Next is I went to Hesuke's. I think it's because I find him cute when I saw him in Hajime's route. It's funny because I didn't notice it was him since his face changed too much when cut his hair short. I won't say much but he's the most immature character in the game X'D But it's fine, I guess he's also the weakest (sorry) in all obtainable characters. The antagonist in his route is Sanan which I think is pretty reasonable since I know he's not a par with Kazama. He died once you know so the authors can't afford to have him killed again (haha). Well, in the end, you learn how to suppress bloodthirst and please do feed him blood because that's just how we do it in this game. Then the two of you live in the countryside with his life indefinite, you don't know when his time runs out. It's still not dreamy when you think that way so I'd rather think that all of them lived.

Okay, let's move on with Harada Sannousuke. The playboy, I mean one of te most popular guys in the red light districts (haha). I am so happy with his route because he is the only one who didn't became a fury (yay!) and lives with you all along. Harada is also probably the most level headed in the game and somehow the most mature. The only conflict of Harada and the heroine is that Chizuru, the heroine, is worried of her being a demon and Harada being human. That is oh so cliche.. but it's fine his route is probably the most normal of all routes. Since Harada lives with you in the end and you had a son. And his route is dreamy~
It's probably nice since if ever Harada even becomes a fury in the game I'll probably go insane on why all characters meet so much tragedy, I hate this. Good thing, the authors, made Harada's character for a change. In his route, also, you will worry about the notice board which is Kaoru's doing but he was never seen in the game again after you entered his route. It's quite disappointing. But I guess it's fine since Harada's route probably gave some light in game because it's too dark after some routes I've went through.


Okay then, the last of all obtainable Shinsegumi characters and I guess the main guy. I don't know if I saved him for last or maybe because I'm too much of his fan but I think that's fine. Hijikata's route was probably the longest one in the game. You can really see what happened to Shinsegumi and why they had lead to a dilemma. Being betrayed and all left behind. You can also see a new character in his route, well, the fact that you can only see him in his route is unfair! X"D Oh well, I think Otori is Yamazaki's replacement since he died. Being the main guy in the series, I think I get enough headache to read too much and understand what his route is all about since there are just too much in his route. Hijikata is one of those popular geniuses in the school like the student council president or something. That what's his character all about. 

Also here, I realized what is Hakuoki all about! No, I didn't realized they told me about it in the game. It is the naming sense of Kazama. I mean it is the name Kazama gave to Hijikata in their last battle underneath the cherry blossoms. And yeah it means "Demon of Fleeting Blossom" because yeah Hijikata was no longer human (well, he's a fury) but Kazama acknowledge him as a demon. Anyways, in the end Hijikata, he and Chizuru lived together and almost all of his life span has been used to his last battle. Not dreamy at all. I think it was when he got injured when someone shot on them while riding a horse to go where Saito is. They just pretended that Hijikata died or maybe something like that. I don't know but I think his route was fairly all about the history and a little twist because Chizuru is in it. I don't know much what to say about him but he did look nice in western clothes =v=)d I will always be a fan girl til the end of time. Haha.

And what do you know!? There's also a route for Kazama haha! I somehow feel victorious for getting his route but it seems like he's a consolation prize if you fail to get in the route of any of the Shinsengumi pipz. Though he's really adorable. No, I'm serious he's adorable~! <3 <3 <3 We spent too much time wanting to have him killed but he's adorable ;A; He just became a historian and story teller in his route and yes, his route is too short! It's way too short so unfair when he's too adorable for words. Anyways, if you fail to get him in his route, you get the normal ending. Like in the end, you're just someone who got into the lives of these people and somehow nothing. Depressing. But just get in his Kazama's route. You'll love him for sure X'D

Anyways, all in all, even though I am disheartened with some details in the story, I could say it is pretty well written. No, I am not being sarcastic, I am not Okita so I am serious when I said it is well written. I also like the Ending song. The music fits the story, but I guess it fits too well, I think I am missing some comedy in my life when I played this game but it's fine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Yummy Cupcake